Tuesday 27 November 2007

Visas schmeezers

Get this: You apply for a residence permit once you arrive in Iceland, NOT while you're still in Australia!! So, "The 90 day visa you have received [...] gives you 90 days to travel to Iceland." Weird, cos I thought Australians could spend 3 months in Iceland without a visa! [update: the special 'D-visas' that we got allow us to apply for residency. If you squint at it, it sort of makes sense. Sort of...]

Our current visas allow us to travel to Iceland. When you arrive in Iceland, we then register our Icelandic address and have our mugshots taken at the Immigration office. THEN, the immigration office will issue your residence permit card. I'm glad (hope?) the immigration office knows what's going on...

6 comments:

Simmi said...

Hey hey,

I don't know you at all, just found your blog through one of my google news searches:-) But I thought I'd send you a note and welcome you to Iceland. If you haven't already, register on Facebook. It will help you find people in Iceland who might help you adjusting to live in Iceland.

tania said...

hi simmi, welcome to my blog! It's nice to know the Icelanders use Facebook - I might try to find some salsa dancing that way :) I'd comment on your blog too, but my Icelandic isn't yet up to a very useful standard. I seem to be stuck at sæll!

Unknown said...

Dude it's excitement all round. I'm sure it will all work out, you're wanted peoples over there after all. Who could deny the T and the Luce!

Oh yeah, crappy immigration. They couldn't possibly be as draconian as Australia though!

Simmi said...

Hey if you need some help - be it salsa or otherwise - just come join the Iceland Rules group on Facebook and start asking questions. We're a friendly bunch:-) Don't know if you can see my e-mail but I'm also happy to help.

Unknown said...

Hey, it's cool to be in Iceland. Just ... the snow. Eh, I'd still prefer Australia long-term, I guess.

But we have snow too.

Have you learnt Icelandic yet?

Anyway, good luck.

tania said...

Ég ætlar að lera íslensku, og ég kan litið núna, en ég vónar að lera mikið meira!! And, there isn't really snow here, just ice. Slippery, hard-to-see ice.