Thursday 20 March 2008

have car, will travel

So, we acquired a car today - suburu legasy ('legacy' really, but that's how the icelander owner spelt it!) We're hiring it off a colleague at my work (whose parents live in Wonga Park :) ), so it costs the same per month as to hire a car for 2 days. So now we can say 'Við erum með bíl sko' - 'we've got a car'. I'm trying to learn to say 'sko' at the end of everything I say, cos then it sounds more Icelandic!

Nothing much else to report - had an abstract rejected and another one accepted, have a paper for a special issue of a journal due in 3 weeks, and a talk to give at the uni here at the same time, plus another talk at the uni just before I go to Switzerland with Luce & Meg and then off to Norway.

Icelandic easter eggs are discussed in terms of numbers, 2 and 3 are kind of normal, but 6 is really rather impressive, to judge from the conversation my basketball team had last night.

Oh, and there's a tv show here called 'Næturvaktin', about the nightwatch at the Shell petrol station up on Laugarvegur (the street where the big swimming pool and sports complex is, and where Luce and I train basketball). Anyway, the point is, with a few pauses now and then to look words up, I can pretty much understand everything they say. Yippee! Now if only I could speak this accursed medieval tongue, I'd be well pleased.

2 comments:

brent said...

it turns out that I'm not receiving notifications that you've updated photos after all. I think I'm a bit behind, I've seen Beth peering at stuff I haven't seen.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.