Friday 15 May 2009

A windy tale to rule them all

Okay, so I've had some stories to tell about the wild wind here in Iceland before, like trying to jump in a puddle, but getting blown off-course and missing, being unable to walk under a bridge because the wind just blew me backwards across the ice, being blown sideways off the bike-path, and 2 weeks ago getting caught in a particularly forceful gust at the wrong moment in a pedal (one up, one down), and being blown backwards on my bike. (Okay, that was my own fault for trying to take a short cut over the top of the Perlan hill instead of going around the cemetery)... But this just takes the cake. Fair dinkum, surely this will drive home to you just how ferocious the wind here can be: So, our uni foreigners' 'coffee meeting' group went on a walk about Reykjavík with a guide today. So that I could see the statues and so on, I tied my hair back out of my eyes. And... wait for it... THE WIND BLEW THE HAIR ELASTIC OUT OF MY HAIR!!!! Seriously, that can't be in the rules! I say, that's simply not cricket!!

3 comments:

brent said...

I don't even understand how people ever thought it would be a good idea to emigrate to Iceland in the first place.

"So, our choices are to get in boats and try to start a life in a frozen desolate wasteland CALLED Iceland, or do we stay here and live in fear and starvation? Tennis anyone?"

tania said...

nono, the choice was leave norway or be killed. Which makes it *slightly* easier to understand. And if there *were* trees here when they first came, then the wind probably just made it really convenient to get around in their boats. ??

brent said...

slightly