Monday 4 June 2007

I'm going to Iceland!

I applied for a postdoc back in January, to be part of a pan-Scandinavian project. I wrote a proposal for Lund and a proposal for Oslo. Heard nothing until suddenly at the start of May, when I received an email saying I was ranked 5th of 7 applicants, for 5 positions, and feel free to comment on the ranking before a final decision was made. I commented, then panicked slightly, since this is not normal procedure in Australia, and god knows whether I'd commented 'correctly'!

I had made up my mind to wait until June before I asked what the final decision was, but for the last week in May I found myself checking my email an inordinate number of times, and decided I needed to email them straightaway! I then got a response, saying a person ranked ahead of me had been offered the Oslo position (her first preference), and if I could imagine myself in Reykjavik, then they'd welcome me aboard. Hmm. Can I really imagine myself in Reykjavik?? Not yet, but I've been trying very hard, and I think I'm starting to!

So I wrote a reponse 'That's very exciting', and heard back 'That's very positive'. All very hedgy, but still kind of solid. L is now looking to see if he can get a job there while I'm there, my cousin is coming to Melbourne for 12 months for her PhD and may be able to live here (in our house), and the world seems very full of possible happy conjunctions

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dette blir jo bare sååå spennende da! Får håpe Luce får en jobb der samtidig med deg... Blir kjekt å få deg så nærme, det er tross alt bedre enn Australia! :)
Klem Elisabeth

brent said...

ah - so this is going to be one of those multi-lingual conversation spaces.

I'm going to guess what you said Elisabeth [Hi Elisabeth!!! :-)]. "Well done, way to go!! I hope Luce can find a job or something to do. But it's going to be great, you're going to be so much closer than all the way to Australia! :) Love, Elisabeth"

How'd I do?

brent said...

oh really?

steph might be staying at your house? that's neat.

turn off the word verification. you're safe from spamming.

Anonymous said...

Gratis paa din nya job i skandinavia, du kan aeta so mycket brun ost som helst!!!

tania said...

i'll turn it off for now...

K said...

*Bounces with excitement*

No wait, I don't want to bounce...people will think I need to go to the loo...

Ahem, yes, well - YAY! For Tania. You're going to be veeeeeeery busy, aren't you? It's all good! =)

Anonymous said...

Det är jätte bra för dig! Jag är svartsjuk! Iceland, wow...

Good luck for Lucien finding a job, and well done you!

What an experience. Might have to visit ;)

Amy

Anonymous said...

Oh and should your cousin fall through, maybe i could mind your house?

Amy

tania said...

:D we'll put you in line!!