Wednesday 24 March 2010

OMG, Icelandic food

Sometimes it really doesn't pay to let the bloke do the shopping for dinner. Tolli came home with hrogn and lifur - roe and liver. The roe was still all wrapped up in the sacks it was in when it was inside the fish - all veiny and looking like brains, that spilled out into pale red sandy stuff. The liver was like lumps of yoghurt that had been left outside for a year and gone all grey and shapeless. It's sooo mushy *shivers*. Okay, so in their defence, they were both pretty tasteless, pure texture-food. I imagine if you did something with them, like mush the liver up into a sauce and have something with them to hide the lack of flavour and weird-arse consistencies, they'd be edible. I did eat some, together with fish and potatoes, which was more than Rósa or Helga did, but still! I think my poor tummy is still churning, and dinner was 5 hours ago!

2 comments:

Tøtto og verden said...

I have never enjoyed liver too, but we had it for dinner when I was a kid, cooked in sauce. And then I would eat just potatoes and sauce, it was great. Because the sauce is just sooo good...! If i tried to eat it, it is a chewing-exercise... Like dry gum, eventually. :p

Roe I have never liked also, but my dad loves it. If he can get some (not easy to come by I think, and expensice) he will eat it on bread.

tania said...

hahah. blaaaaaah!!