Friday 16 April 2010

Be careful what you wish for...

So I didn't get out to see either of the first two volcanic eruptions, so I wished for another one. Unfortunately, the next eruption is no tourist-friendly gentle spurt of magma. Instead it's an ash-spewing, Europe-suffocating monster. Satellite images show that the Faroe Islands are completely engulfed, they are directly in the middle of the huge black cloud of ash streaming from Iceland towards Europe. The funny part is the tiny little finger that branches off to smother the UK. The not so funny part is that the whole of northern Europe is now closed to air traffic. Some meteorologist/vulcanologists are talking about it remaining this way for several years! Gah! I have a fieldwork trip in Norway this week, I'm supposed to leave on Saturday, but whole of Norway is closed! Not want!

Apparently some wits in Holland and Britain are already making jokes: 'We asked for CASH, not ASH' and so on (they were the main players in the Icesave debacle). I just hope Luce can get here in 2 weeks from now...

There's a 3-day celebration for Vigdís Finnbogardóttir's 80th birthday. I was at the opening ceremony, and went to ask her if I could have a photo with her. When I was saying who I was, she said, 'Yes, I remember you.' !!! The first democratically elected female president in the world knows who I am! :)

 

Her birthday conference is this weekend. I'm planning to be in Norway for it, but, well... we'll just have to wait and see!

2 comments:

Tøtto og verden said...

Håper du ikkje går glipp av norgesbesøket... Men har ikkje tenkt å klandre deg for utbruddet. Eg håper det vil bli mulig å komme på besøk i sommer og..!

tania said...

takk for å ikkje klandra oss! Og om ikkje dåke kan fly til oss i sommer skal dåke bare ta båten... ;)